• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

PsychOS

Started by Jason, June 14, 2020, 03:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

This is such an odd distribution. It looks like something out of the 90s, maybe even the 80s. And when you read about it, you'll see what I mean. It's designed for older computers and I mean really old, 5-10 years, 32-bit only.  And the developer is looking at creating a version that would run on a 486! The developer seems very secretive not wanting to disclose any information about themselves, not even their gender. That sets off alarm bells for me but maybe he/she is just eccentric.

I wasn't sure if this was a joke because of how strangely different it is and because 'psych' was a common expression used by teens in the 80s. You'd make up something that might alarm someone and then say 'psych!' to show you were just messing with them. It uses Xfce but there is a choice to use IceWM. I don't know if anyone remembers this window manager from the days before desktop environments like Gnome and Plasma (back then it was just KDE). Other window managers included Nextstep and Fvwm. No drag and drop with window manager interfaces.

As an 80s kid, there is something nostalgic about it - the look, its claims to support old DOS games and old programming languages. And also to access internet resources via text.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13