• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

UbuntuDDE

Started by fox, April 18, 2020, 08:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

Ever heard of it? I hadn't until I saw this video this morning. This is a remix, combining Ubuntu 20.04 and the Deepin Desktop. I've always liked Deepin, but wouldn't use it because of spying concerns. But this might be the answer, especially if Canonical eventually adopts it as an official respin.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

I downloaded the 20.04 version and installed in vmware. Much the same as the original from China. Excellent installer.

So far the drag and drop from host to guest is being done with copy paste, but this may change and improve as they get to know each other better. Seriously.

It feels a bit heavy as I use it, especially when compared to Peppermint or Q4OS.

I don't think there is any way to open files with one click.

No verdict - a matter of preference. If you have never used it, give it a try. It is quite different: attractive, easy to use.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

buster

So the drag and drop did sort itself out and works well now. Think I would replace some things, like the default music player, maybe other things. Anyway, here's a picture of it that doesn't actual tell you much, using one of the included wallpapers. Wanted to show the sliding control panel that comes in from the left. Couldn't manage it.

buster

Well that screenshot was bloody useless!

buster

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 13, 2020, 01:52:33 PM
Well that screenshot was bloody useless!

You can remove posts with attachments by editing it again, going to the bottom and choosing 'clear attachments' or even remove the entire post if you prefer. :)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

It looks good. Is the package manager for this version completely English? I found that was an issue with Deepin. I'd go in there and most stuff was in English but the odd thing you'd click on was in Chinese (or Mandarin?).
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

English seems to be fine so far. And the control panel actually comes in from the right.  :-[ The tiny picture came about because the desktop picture taking software has to be altered to get the size you want. A sliding scale that is hidden.

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 13, 2020, 02:55:48 PM
English seems to be fine so far. And the control panel actually comes in from the right.  :-[ The tiny picture came about because the desktop picture taking software has to be altered to get the size you want. A sliding scale that is hidden.

Glad that you know how to resize. You'd be surprised, or not, at how many people don't know. Back in the day, you had to resize anything for both web pages and emails. I think you were around then. ;-) Today, it usually doesn't matter all that much.

But... I upgraded the attachment size to 2.5 MB for each attachment just a few minutes ago. It should now be big enough to post screenshots including fancy backgrounds for resolutions up to 1920 x 1080 without having to resize or up the compression.

buster

I didn't resize the picture AFTER I took it, tho I can and have done that. The default screenshot software demands you do this BEFORE you take the picture. Think I'd replace that software as well as the default music player. The tiny picture gave me quite a surprise when I checked my post.  :)

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 13, 2020, 05:16:59 PM
I didn't resize the picture AFTER I took it, tho I can and have done that. The default screenshot software demands you do this BEFORE you take the picture. Think I'd replace that software as well as the default music player. The tiny picture gave me quite a surprise when I checked my post.  :)

That's weird. What program is it so I can make sure to never use it? I'm thinking that it begins with Deepin in the name? Probably just another photo program that they made 2-3 changes and then acted like it's completely new. ;-)

buster

"That's weird. What program is it so I can make sure to never use it? I'm thinking that it begins with Deepin in the name? "

Sorry, don't know. Just deleted 3 of my VMs, and that was one of them. I tend to get too many as I try things out. It was the Deepin one I'm pretty sure. Never seen anything like it before. Probably easy after you use it  a few times. You could also make an oval picture. Kind of cool.

Jason

A quick way to try out an OS (operating system) or set up one with certain software, DE (desktop environment), configuration, and such is to download and import a pre-built virtual appliance. Then you don't have to go through the entire install process. I know you might not ever be interested in doing this but wanted to let you know the option is there. And it might interest others.

OSBoxes has plenty of appliances in both VMware and VirtualBox formats but I don't see one with Ubuntu DDE yet. It'd be better if they used .ova format since all VM (virtual machine) software should be able to read that format since .ova files use an open format. In fact, it means Open Virtual Appliance. I found a few appliances in .ova format here.

I just noticed that VMware Workstation Player doesn't appear to export .ova files although it will import them. They must reserve that feature for the full Workstation version. VirtualBox does both.

Note: I may have mentioned this elsewhere but when I use an abbreviation for the first time in a post, I explain in parentheses what it means to be newbie-friendly.