• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Issue updating Zoom

Started by ssfc72, June 11, 2020, 10:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

The Update mechanism for the Linux Zoom version seems to be faulty.

Last Friday, I went to join a Zoom video chat and the Zoom program said there was a new update and it would not allow the program to run.
I clicked on the Update icon and it downloaded the deb file and I installed it. After the install was done, it said the program was already installed
I then ran the Zoom program and it again said there was an Update available and it would not run the Zoom program. :-(
I went through the Update download and install, again, it was just a continuing cycling of this refusing to run an Update install.
This was on my Dell XPS running MXLinux.

Today, I tackled a Zoom update on my Dell Inspiron running Mint 19 and I had the same thing happen with Zoom wanting me to do an Update and then refusing to run the Zoom program, after the Update and saying I needed to Update. :-)

I then rebooted the Dell Inspiron  notebook computer and the Zoom program worked fine. :-)

I did a test Zoom video chat today, using the 2 notebook computers, and besides having to enter the URL, I also had to enter the session password, to join the video chat.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

I had the same thing happen. What I did was to go to the Zoom website, download the latest .deb and install it with gdebi. But dpkg should work as well.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on June 11, 2020, 10:50:23 AM
I clicked on the Update icon and it downloaded the deb file and I installed it. After the install was done, it said the program was already installed

This might be a clue. Did you download it the first time or did you use your package manager? If it was installed via your package manager, Zoom might not know to deal with it. Remove it from your installed programs using your package manager, making sure you close it in the tray and then download it via the website as Fox suggests. If it was installed via the package manager, it's probably an older version anyway. The update came up for me but just redirected me to the website to download. Maybe the update fixes the update. :)

I did a test Zoom video chat today, using the 2 notebook computers, and besides having to enter the URL, I also had to enter the session password, to join the video chat.

Strangely, the first time I clicked on start a meeting button it wanted me to set up a meeting with a password. But it hasn't done it since. Odd. Anyway, there is an actual password in the URL. If you look at the end of it, both the session ID and the password are embedded inside. The first part after the ending / has the session ID and the part after pwd= is the password. At least, that's my best guess but I think it's a pretty good guess. :)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

After logging in to my Zoom Account,  Zoom had an icon to update the program.  When you click on the update icon, it downloads the Zoom deb file.  I go to my file manager and click on the Zoom deb file to begin the update.
So no, I did not use the package manager.

The trick for me was that I had to reboot the Mint 19 distro and the MXLinux distro, on my 2 notebook computers, after the Zoom install,  and then the Zoom program worked normally, with the updated software.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on June 11, 2020, 05:15:40 PM
The trick for me was that I had to reboot the Mint 19 distro and the MXLinux distro, on my 2 notebook computers, after the Zoom install,  and then the Zoom program worked normally, with the updated software.

Interesting. Many features in Linux are provided by services. Sometimes you have to restart those services especially if something is changed or it's just acting up. Restarting the computer does this. I'm wondering if this is what happened. Thanks for sharing in case someone comes across the same issue.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13