• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Plasma vs. Xfce

Started by Jason, June 06, 2020, 05:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

How heavy a desktop environment (DE) is, is one of those things can mean different things to different people. Are we talking about how much RAM is used? How many threads are running? How many of the default apps for that Xfce and how big they are? How much big the default install of a distro with that DE is? But in this YouTube video, the presenter has tried by measuring memory used, the number of programs and the number of threads running in three stages.

• When you first login
  • Running a bunch of similar programs to simulate desktop usage
  • After exiting those programs and letting the system settle down
He also ran a bunch of demanding games to really push the CPU to see if there was a difference in the DEs there, by looking at frame rates.

Btw, I don't think memory usage matters all that much unless you have limited memory or are running a lot of programs or tabs at the same time.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

You're missing the punchline. What was the result of the comparison of Plasma and Xfce?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on June 06, 2020, 07:54:43 PM
You're missing the punchline. What was the result of the comparison of Plasma and Xfce?

You'll have to watch the video to find out. :)
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

"You'll have to watch the video to find out"

The results are what you and I have contended for awhile now. I would like to see a battle between Gnome and Plasma by the same man.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 07, 2020, 08:51:36 AM
"You'll have to watch the video to find out"

The results are what you and I have contended for awhile now. I would like to see a battle between Gnome and Plasma by the same man.

I agree. I note that a few people in the comments asked for just that and some comments have noted that Gnome has been heavier. Not starting any DE wars here, their experiences could be their  very subjective.

Jason

Here's another video discussing others who have compared the two desktops in resource usage.

buster

Just to follow the last comments after all this time, there are some, who pretend to be scientists, who still use the slow and heavy Gnome. There was at last count only one in all of Peterborough, and I wont mention any names, but he or she uses Gnome. And this is alright, if you don't mind using a desktop that sucks royally.

And I can prove that it is true that no one else in Peterborough uses Gnome by requesting this: If you use Gnome, please add to this thread and write, as honestly as you are capable of being, 'I use Gnome as my main desktop environment, and I live in Peterborough.'

Heavens, most people still don't know how to pronounce it.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

You have to be a bear to bear-bait, not a Gnome.  :P
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

There must be something to Gnome since it is the default in many more distros than Plasma although most also offer Plasma. I surmise that Buster is just trolling Fox because he doesn't have anything better to do. :)