• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

A sad day for a Ubuntu fan

Started by fox, June 03, 2020, 03:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

"Peppermint is a nice distro and I will play with it some more, but it doesn't have any distinct advantage over Ubuntu or Mint that I can see. But I can still start or add to a new Peppermint thread. Why don't you start one since right now you have more experience with it than I do."

If you don't intend to use it and solve all the necessary problems, it doesn't sound like much of an adventure. I can say very quickly what I know - it's second in speed only to Q4OS, and dead easy to use. I can add that both Mint and Ubuntu, especially Ubuntu, are slower. And of course Ubuntu sucks.

It was the adventure I was looking forward too. If you don't really need it, or want it,there's no story, no drama.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 05, 2020, 07:41:50 PM
If you don't intend to use it and solve all the necessary problems, it doesn't sound like much of an adventure.

I know this message was for Fox, but I just have to jump in and note that I've said something along the same line multiple times to you when you hit a snag, dropped the distro and moved on.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

"but I just have to jump in and note that I've said something along the same line multiple times to you "

Yea, but I was REALLY looking forward to a saga. If he needed to use it, difficult problems would have to be solved. In my case, I just go to another distro that catches my fancy. This could have been a real life suspenseful drama.

Mine are just playing in most cases.

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 06, 2020, 10:06:16 AM
"but I just have to jump in and note that I've said something along the same line multiple times to you "

Yea, but I was REALLY looking forward to a saga. If he needed to use it, difficult problems would have to be solved. In my case, I just go to another distro that catches my fancy. This could have been a real life suspenseful drama.

Mine are just playing in most cases.

But you write so well, Buster. You should do that, too. :)
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

Buster, if you make a story out of it, I promise I'll read it and contribute, as long as my contribution doesn't break the flow. It will motivate me to play with Peppermint more.  :)
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

"Buster, if you make a story out of it, I promise I'll read it and contribute, as long as my contribution doesn't break the flow. It will motivate me to play with Peppermint more."

It would be really, really hard to make a story about someone playing with Peppermint. Stories by their nature need conflict, uncertainty, anticipation, evolution, suspense and resolution.

Playing with a pet poisonous snake called Peppermint would work though if you want to try that.

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 06, 2020, 02:30:07 PM
"Buster, if you make a story out of it, I promise I'll read it and contribute, as long as my contribution doesn't break the flow. It will motivate me to play with Peppermint more."

It would be really, really hard to make a story about someone playing with Peppermint. Stories by their nature need conflict, uncertainty, anticipation, evolution, suspense and resolution.

You could make the beginning by setting the stage with the hero and the setting and enough of a beginning to draw readers in. Then you could have Fox send you messages of his experiences and you could craft it into a story as only you can do. :)

Of course, there was another story that you were going to start back in March, I think. So you could start with that, too.

fox

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on June 06, 2020, 03:32:39 PM
Of course, there was another story that you were going to start back in March, I think. So you could start with that, too.

I wondered about that. Started off well but there was never a Chapter 2!

fox

Back to Ubuntu, which is what this topic is supposed to be about.

Quote from: fox on June 05, 2020, 07:57:01 AM
Incidentally, this gives me the option of trying out VMware Player in general. I'm used to using VirtualBox because it's always in the distro's repositories, but both are proprietary, both are free for non-commercial use and VMware Player is easy enough to find and install. It might work better on my Ubuntu partition, seeing as it works with the 4.15 kernel. (The version of VirtualBox installed from the repositories only works with the newer kernel.)

I haven't tried installing an older version of VirtualBox yet, but I have tried importing the VirtualBox Windows 7 vm to VMware Player so I could try it there. I'm happy to say that this was fairly easy to do, and it does work, including the VMware tools, which have to be installed afterward.

buster

"I have tried importing the VirtualBox Windows 7 vm to VMware Player so I could try it there. I'm happy to say that this was fairly easy to do, and it does work, including the VMware tools."

Surprised this works, and that makes it so much easier. Kind of cool.

fox

What you have to do is export the vm from VirtualBox and save it as an ova image. You can then open it in VMware and save it in its native format. It's similar to do it the other way, from VMware to VirtualBox. Instructions are here. I'm going to post this set of instructions in the Tips forum, where it is more likely to be accessed.

fox

I had high hopes this morning that my 20.04 boot/sleep/shutdown problems with the 5.4 LTS kernel would be over today, as the amdgpu-pro driver for 20.04 just became available. I was able to install it successfully, but unfortunately, it had no effect on boot time, wake from sleep time, or shutdown time, and it actually made window movement worse. At least I can rule out the open source driver as the cause of my problems.

I can, of course, still use the 4.15 LTS kernel on Ubuntu (and Mint) until it is no longer supported in April 2023. That still leaves a lot of time for new kernels or kernel updates to work with my 2015 iMac. If nothing is successful by then, this becomes a MacOS computer again; not the outcome I was looking for.  :(

buster

Using some fairly esoteric mathematics, and a number of statistical tables, as well as noting the progress so far on this problem, I can safely predict that the solution to your computer problem has an 83% likelihood of occurring within 2 weeks of a destructive hardware breakdown for the whole system that is happening because of the age of the components.

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 16, 2020, 04:33:57 PM
Using some fairly esoteric mathematics, and a number of statistical tables, as well as noting the progress so far on this problem, I can safely predict that the solution to your computer problem has an 83% likelihood of occurring within 2 weeks of a destructive hardware breakdown for the whole system that is happening because of the age of the components.

I think 83% is a bit high but you might be right. But I still admire Fox's effort.

buster

"I think 83% is a bit high but you might be right. But I still admire Fox's effort."

I recalculate and you're correct. Apparently it's 79.5%. Sorry about that.