• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Deal on Insync - 50% off

Started by fox, April 24, 2020, 03:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

For those who don't know, Insync is an application that allows you to sync files in Google Drive or MicroSoft OneDrive across devices. I use Insync for my Google Drive, and it works across PC, Mac and Linux computers. The nicest feature about it is the select sync, so you don't have to store all of your cloud files on your local computer. Also noteworthy is that you only have to pay once for the license, and you can use it to sync across an unlimited number of computers or partitions. The price for "Prime" licence for the next four days is $CAN 20! If you have to sync Google or OneDrive across devices, you can't beat it. Note that you do have to buy a separate license for Google Drive and OneDrive if you have them both.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I bought a license years ago and it worked quite well but I moved away from Google Drive. I don't recall exactly why. I still have some files on there. Now that I think of it, it's probably that I started using SpiderOak One Backup because I wanted the built-in encryption.

The plus side of using a client like iSync when you're using Google drive is that you can encrypt the files locally and when stored there, they'll be encrypted. There used to be a client for Google Drive for Windows but not one for Linux, so you needed to use iSync. I'm not even sure if Google supplies a Drive client for Windows anymore, do they?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13