• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

PLUG Mug Video chat? This evening Monday 8pm

Started by ssfc72, April 20, 2020, 10:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Ok, how about we try to do a Skype video group chat this evening.
Skype has a new feature were apparently I could send a Link to anyone who wants to participate. You would need to have the Skype program loaded on your computer, unless you are running the latest Chrome browser ot MS Edge browser.
I haven't try this out yet so hopefully it will work for me.  Let me know if you are interested and about 7:45pm I will try and send you the Link, to you, as a personal message on the PLUG Forums.  So you will need to log into the Forums and check at the top of the Forums page, to see if you have a message.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Sounds good, Bill. Any idea how many people can participate in a skype conference at a time?

It'll likely just be us 3-4 but maybe other members will be missing the socialization of the group and want to join (hint, hint). I believe when you start the call, ssfc, that you can control (if you wish) who to pass the microphone to, mute people, etc. Wouldn't likely need to do that with us but you never know, you might have to shut *me* up. ;-)

I'll try and remember to check the board before 8:00 for the link and join. I have a webcam for my deskop and laptop but I think the one on the desktop is better (if it still works). Be interesting to see how Skype in Linux holds up but can always boot into Windows, if I need to.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I'm interested, but will be video chatting with my daughter a bit before that tonight. So I may be late.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Ok Jason, yes I don't know about whether there is a limit to the number of people taking part. I will see if I can find some info on that.

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on April 20, 2020, 10:08:07 AM
Sounds good, Bill. Any idea how many people can participate in a skype conference at a time?

It'll likely just be us 3-4 but maybe other members will be missing the socialization of the group and want to join (hint, hint). I believe when you start the call, ssfc, that you can control (if you wish) who to pass the microphone to, mute people, etc. Wouldn't likely need to do that with us but you never know, you might have to shut *me* up. ;-)

I'll try and remember to check the board before 8:00 for the link and join. I have a webcam for my deskop and laptop but I think the one on the desktop is better (if it still works). Be interesting to see how Skype in Linux holds up but can always boot into Windows, if I need to.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

ssfc72

Ok Mike, I will try to keep the group session going for 20 minutes or more, to give you a chance to join in.

Quote from: fox on April 20, 2020, 12:09:17 PM
I'm interested, but will be video chatting with my daughter a bit before that tonight. So I may be late.

ssfc72

So, for a Skype video call, it appears that you might want to have the Skype program running and maybe logged into you skype account.
Then click on the Link that I will send you, as a personal message in the Plug Forum. So you will need to be logged in to the Plu Forums, so that you can read the personal message, that I will send you, which will have the Link.

In the Skype program you may have to click on the Call icon and not the Chat icon.  I don't know if this is necessary to do when you click the Link, in the personal message but it is something to keep in mind.

Update - ok, I did another test run. I did not have to have skype running. When I clicked on the invite Link, it brought the Skype program up. I didn't have to log in. I just chose to log in as a Guest. No password was needed.  I just need to give myself a name and then to click to join the group.

dougal

greetings ...i'll add my experiences here...i have had continuous challenges with the sound quality using skype for linux on  mint19 (in particular  others hearing my audio output)...these are calls to landlines/cellphones that I initiate thru my subscription acct ...i recently switched to using 'skype on web' thru the chrome browser with good sound output, but a couple of times my output has stopped and a  message appears stating it can't source my mic(I've tried three different mics) ....i can still hear and see others but they can't hear me (once this 'self-corrected'so we continued)...this has shown up after about 20 min into the call...non of this has happened in skype on windows so far.... I usually participate thru Zoom which has been flawless  on mint19. it's free only for 40min for group calls...i'll be curious to experience a group skype call that i join thru mint19 and see if it's any different.thanks bill for taking this initiative.

ssfc72

Ok so I will post a personal message, with the Skype Link,  on the PLUG Forums at around 7:45 pm this evening, to Jason, Fox, Buster, and Dougal.

buster

"I can still hear and see others but they can't hear me"

My wife wants to set up something like this at our house so she doesn't have to listen to me.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Quote from: buster on April 20, 2020, 03:40:49 PM
"I can still hear and see others but they can't hear me"

My wife wants to set up something like this at our house so she doesn't have to listen to me.

🤣🤣😁
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Jason

Quote from: dougal on April 20, 2020, 03:03:52 PM
greetings ...i'll add my experiences here...i have had continuous challenges with the sound quality using skype for linux on  mint19 (in particular  others hearing my audio output)...these are calls to landlines/cellphones that I initiate thru my subscription acct ...i recently switched to using 'skype on web' thru the chrome browser with good sound output, but a couple of times my output has stopped and a  message appears stating it can't source my mic(I've tried three different mics) ....i can still hear and see others but they can't hear me (once this 'self-corrected'so we continued)...this has shown up after about 20 min into the call...non of this has happened in skype on windows so far.... I usually participate thru Zoom which has been flawless  on mint19. it's free only for 40min for group calls...i'll be curious to experience a group skype call that i join thru mint19 and see if it's any different.thanks bill for taking this initiative.

Did you run the Skype test at the beginning to make sure your mic worked and the sound quality was okay? It should ask you to talk, adjust the mic level automatically and then play it back for you to make sure both the mic and the sound worked in the playing back.

dougal

jason... . when i've tested for audio using mint19 i've used both skypes 'test call' feature as well as leaving a message on my private vmail...the skype test seems better but not great quality and the recording sucks, that's how I could verify/experience what others were speaking about.I used the same tests to check when i switched to 'skype for web' app in chrome browser and it was as good a quality as i experience using 'skype for windows'. it just has given hiccups with cutting out the mic in that app.

Jason

Have you used speedtest.net or some other speed test and not only tested the speed but the ping time and what they refer to as jitter? Or does audio work fine on other audio/video cam programs?

ssfc72

I have posted  a Forum personal message, with the Skype Link, to you guys.

ssfc72

For the Skype video group call last evening, I was using the latest MXLinux as the sole OS on my Dell XPS 13" notebook computer, with the new larger 500G SSD M.2
MXLinux is working very nicely on the Dell, so far, and seems quite similar to Mint, so that I can find my way around the Desktop without having to relearn how to do things.

The video group chat worked very well and it was great being able to see and talk with you quys. :-)