• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Google Chrome users need to update their Chrome browser immediately

Started by ssfc72, April 19, 2020, 03:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/04/18/google-chrome-81-critical-security-exploit-upgrade-warning-update-chrome-browser/#15d616f66bde

The Chrome browser has a remote code execution flaw and needs to be updated right away.  The flaw would allow a "crook can run code on your computer remotely, without warning, even if they’re on the other side of the world"

This affects Chrome for Windows, Mac and Linux.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Thanks for sharing, ssfc.

I thought the only way, apart from downloading and reinstalling the latest version, was to wait for the browser to update on its own. Good know though I don't use the Google Chrome browser anymore. It's based on Chromium code which is also used is in Edge, Opera and Brave, to name a few but the blog post looks like it applies specifically to Chrome.

I wonder how many in the group use Google Chrome. I know that I don't, you don't and Fox doesn't. Not sure what Buster uses. But judging by its popularity, you'd expect there must be several people in the group that must use it. Unless us computer geeks follow a different trend. :)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I occasionally use Chrome. It's on my computer. It's also on my Samsung phone.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I forgot about phones. I don't think the security issue would be in the Android app of the same name. Apps on phones aren't developed the same way as desktop applications, i.e. they're not the same programs. But if there is a security issue, you'd probably have to wait until the company that makes the phone releases an OS update since it's likely built into the OS. Probably a good idea to use a different browser on your phone, just to be safe. There is Firefox, Opera, Brave, and others.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13