• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

CrossOver Linux - today only, $21 USD

Started by ssfc72, November 28, 2016, 10:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Today only, CrossOver Linux is on sale, at their website, for $21 USD (regular $60)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

That's a good buy. I own CrossOver Linux myself. While all it is is a more user-friendly version of Wine, it does make it much easier to install Windows apps that have been tested to work with it. CrossOver has a database of tested applications on their website. It use it for MS Office 2010, but it still doesn't work properly, or at all, with newer versions. I also have some work-specific applications that it doesn't work with at all (a charting package and a statistical package); it generally isn't helpful for programs that are not popular. You can always download for free a trial version of CrossOver and see if it works for the Windows applications or games that you want.

One other thing to bear in mind is that the developers that make CrossOver are heavy contributors to Wine itself. So supporting them is supporting Wine.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

fox

Crossover Linux released version 16 about two weeks ago. It's a major upgrade, and it finally runs MS Office 2013, at least the main parts of it. I can verify that it works, but unfortunately, it doesn't register either of the two professional pro versions that I have access to. It seems to only register those with traditional serial numbers. If anyone has one of these, I'd love to try it.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13