• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

The Devastating Decline of a Brilliant Young Coder (Wired)

Started by Jason, April 19, 2020, 12:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Wired has an interesting article about one of the founders of security firm Cloudflare. Over the years his personality changed drastically and nobody could figure out why. It's a sad story but it reads a bit like a detective novel where the main character starts acting in unpredictable ways and everyone else is befuddled as to the cause. They do finally solve the mystery and it's unexpected but there are clues along the way. The nature of personality and where it comes from and what happens when parts of it break is that I found fascinating. It was more deep than I had thought.

https://www.wired.com/story/lee-holloway-devastating-decline-brilliant-young-coder
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I read the story. I never heard of FTD before. Sounds awful. Very sad.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I hadn't heard of it before either. It just goes to show that no matter how rich you are, no matter how famous, nature still can find a way to fuck us over. It's kind of democratic in a morbid way. My father had the most common form of dementia - Alzheimer's.

Did you find the article interesting, though? Or just sad.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

Interesting, but long. I skimmed the tech company part of it. It was Holloway and his personality changes that I focused on.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Yeah, Wired articles are often quite long but usually worth the read. But I'm choosy on what I read from it because they have long articles. I think that that article was the their main article and the title caught my attention.

ssfc72

Thanks Jason for the post about this coder.  Very interesting and informative.  Also very sad.
I also skimmed through the article but I will re-read it, later, when I get a chance.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Glad you found it interesting, ssfc72. They have a newsletter you can subscribe to that lets you know of interesting stories. Wired is kind of like the Maclean's of tech mags. It's not just tech, although they have lots of that, it's human interest stories related to people that work in tech. I think they let people look at 3 stories a month for free but a subscription is only $5/year USD right now for the digital version right now, I believe. Normally it's $10/year. Not a bad deal. I rarely read more than a couple of stories a month but that's the same with most mags or papers I buy.