• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Ubuntu 20.04 moved into beta today

Started by Jason, April 02, 2020, 06:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Thanks Mike. Two very annoying things about this:

1. My search, using different words, led to people complaining about not being able to one-click. Probably relatives of mine. So I quickly gave up.
2. I'd solved that before, years ago!!!!!! And I'd forgotten. That is really annoying. Things fall out of my brain fairly easily.

And a very interesting thing:

When I read your note, I booted in and went to change it to one-click. But mysteriously it was already one-click. Putting on my Sherlock hat, I deduced that when I'd changed the Plasma side of Ubuntu to one-click, that must have carried over to the Gnome side. So of course I put on my pastor cloak and shouted, "It's a maaarakull! It's healed!"

But still, thanks Mike.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

My pleasure. May you now be a Gnome convert. (I won't hold my breath.)

Things fall out of my brain easily too. I use an app called Pocket to store websites with useful instructions that I would otherwise forgot. Pocket is an extension on your browser and when you click on it, it brings up all your stored sites. You name the site when you import it to Pocket, and can search Pocket to quickly find what you are looking for. I highly recommend it.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

So in Gnome I called up the file manager and tried to do a split screen. Google. Apparently split screen has been disabled for quite awhile.

I put on my Thomas Edison jacket, and instantly realized that that somewhere in there, on the Plasma side, I had Dolphin installed. Typed in 'Dolphin', and not only did Dolphin appear, but it placed a shortcut on the desktop. And it uses the nice icons and colours from the 'other side'. Twilight Zone stuff, right here in Peterborough.

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Quote from: fox on April 25, 2020, 09:18:01 AM
My pleasure. May you now be a Gnome convert. (I won't hold my breath.)

Things fall out of my brain easily too. I use an app called Pocket to store websites with useful instructions that I would otherwise forgot. Pocket is an extension on your browser and when you click on it, it brings up all your stored sites. You name the site when you import it to Pocket, and can search Pocket to quickly find what you are looking for. I highly recommend it.

Pocket is built into Firefox, as well. I think you need to get an account for it but after that, you don't even need to install an extension.

There's an icon in the upper right for it. It looks like a shield with an upside-down caret that is pointing down. See the attached graphic. It's between the star and the ... in a default install. Click on it when you're at a website and see what happens.

I use it for saving articles I might want to read later. It has clients for everything. For saving instructions, I usually grab snippets into Evernote. But that's a smart idea, too, Fox.

What do you mean that you name the site? Do you mean the tag? I use that for organizing pocket articles so it's easier to find them. For example, an article on ubuntu, might have as it's tags: Linux, ubuntu. Using a comma automatically makes a tag for the text ahead of it.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13