• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Ubuntu 20.04 moved into beta today

Started by Jason, April 02, 2020, 06:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Found this, too, in a Wikipedia article about LTS software, in general:

QuoteLTS applies the tenets of reliability engineering to the software development process and software release life cycle. Long-term support extends the period of software maintenance; it also alters the type and frequency of software updates (patches) to reduce the risk, expense, and disruption of software deployment, while promoting the dependability of the software. It does not necessarily imply technical support.

At the beginning of a long-term support period, the software developers impose a feature freeze: They make patches to correct software bugs and vulnerabilities but do not introduce new features that may cause regression. The software maintainer either distributes patches individually, or packages them in maintenance releases, point releases, or service packs. At the conclusion of the support period, the product either reaches end-of-life or receives a reduced level of support for a period of time (e.g., high-priority security patches only).[2]

Note the part about the feature freeze. It's what makes 20.04 a "boring" release as compared to non-LTS releases of Ubuntu. Not many new  features, and few patches during it's life-cycle.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

Thanks to both of you. Since the software did what I wanted, never occurred to me to check it's release number. Libreoffice updates automatically in Windows. Assumed same rules applied.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

You probably already noticed this but it updates in Windows because a part of it runs in the background or when you open it, it checks. Windows doesn't do it. I think LibreOffice in Linux at least tells you when you open it if there is a newer version.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

In my case, LibreOffice updates are important because each one brings better Microsoft Office compatibility. I'm still hoping someday that I will no longer need to run Office in CrossOver (Wine), and that the translators are good enough. But I have another ace up my sleeve - Softmaker Office. I'm beta testing their 2021 version. Both LibreOffice and Softmaker are getting closer to 100% compatibility.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

"I think LibreOffice in Linux at least tells you when you open it if there is a newer version."

That's what happens in Windows anyway. I've run for months with the little message and never updated it if mine works perfectly as is. Why use the time to download it (It's not handled like say Firefox) and install, and possibly break?

fox

I have been using 20.04 (still beta) for a week now, and have found no problems with it. There have been numerous updates since the beta first came out; updates almost every day. The only changes they seem to have made to my operation is that the deb of Mendeley Desktop (my reference manager) now installs, and the boot from my 5k iMac with the 5.4 kernel is slightly faster (about 1 1/2 minutes). I still don't consider the 5.4 kernel usable on this computer; the 4.15 kernel is lightning fast. I want it to be the default kernel at bootup, though ideally I would like to try 5.4 again later in the cycle in case Canonical or Debian addresses whatever is causing the slow bootup, wake from sleep and shutdown on my computer. If I delete the 5.4 kernel, I can always get it back, right? Alternatively, is there a way to set the 4.15 kernel as the default boot?

I decided that I like Ubuntu 20.04 more than Mint 19.3, which was what I was originally using on this iMac. The difference is mainly aesthetics - Ubuntu Gnome does a better job than Mint Cinnamon in the size and spacing of favourite applications on the vertical dock. But Mint has been great and I'm keeping it on a partition. Mint will be coming out with a "20" version in a few months that includes an updated Cinnamon. Maybe I'll like it better than Ubuntu 20.04, in which case I'll set it as my primary driver again.

Jason

Quote from: buster on April 06, 2020, 10:15:56 AM
That's what happens in Windows anyway. I've run for months with the little message and never updated it if mine works perfectly as is. Why use the time to download it (It's not handled like say Firefox) and install, and possibly break?

Now you're getting it. :) What I do is look at the release notes to see if it's a feature update or fixing serious, particularly security issues. Or, I'd do that if I was depending on a particular program like LibreOffice for serious work. In Linux, I just let it update when it wants an update through the package manager. By default in Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based distros, you automatically get security updates installed in the background but other updates you're notified about. I have it set to notify me of all of them so if my computer malfunctions, it's easier to trace back what happened.

Otherwise in Windows, I do all my program updates (other than automatic browser updates) about once a week. In Windows, I even push back feature updates a month and security updates back a week. I figure that gives them enough time to fix whatever they break with it before I get it. And MS updates do break things from time to time. And don't you dare tell me that you've used Windows 10 for xyz years and never had a problem. That's you. Look online for any particular update and you will fine either tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands that have had their computers slowed down, incompatibilities occurring or making their system unbootable. That can happen with Linux, too, but not nearly as often as it does with Windows. Windows is still pretty good. Yes, I know, people will cry out, "heretic" but it's true. It's far better than the days of Windows 98 when coughing on your PC could cause it crash.

But I digress. I rarely progress. It's usually digress. :)

fox

I have run into a new problem with running the old kernel in 20.04; not serious but annoying. I will post it in the Support forum.

fox

Ubuntu 20.04 has been officially released today.

buster

So ever the optimist, and admirer of Mike's opinions (however demented  :) ), I installed the new Ubuntu. Looks OK. Like the setup for getting to the menu. Downloaded Synaptic to try my test programs, and noticed something I've always found on my machines.

Gnome is slow, or 'heavy' is a good description.

Installed Plasma and booted into it rather than into Gnome. Both desktops have to live with the fact that they are virtual, and don't have huge resources. But Plasma showed a quicker response right away. Picture of the day better, default colours and icons felt sharper and more attractive.

Only my experience and opinion. But I think Gnome hasn't spent enough time on making the desktop quick. I'm going to go away now and not face the criticism til I have had a good sleep tonight.

fox

No criticism, Buster; each to his/her own. What I can say is that on bare metal, 20.04 gnome is quite fast.

buster

Went back into Gnome today and was pleasantly surprised - much better speed. My guess is that Gnome was still on first boot with updates and program installs and test, including the install of Plasma, while Plasma had the advantage of a reboot before I used it, and I had no need to fill the memory before I tested.

I'll test it awhile, and then find a tasty hat to eat. Chocolate preferably.

BusterE

Still have no way to get mouse single click to work for everything in 20.40. Bloody annoying.
BusterMan - Strong like Ox! Smart like elevator!

buster

I should be clear.

Ubuntu Plasma - yes one click
Ubuntu Gnome - no one click

All of this reminds me of 'way back in the old days', early 2000's I guess, when we used Red Hat, Suse or Mandrake, and we used to argue about which was the better desktop: KDE or Gnome, even though in our hearts we knew it was KDE.  :)

fox

Well, buster, be prepared to be flabbergasted, because there is a way that you can one-click to open files or folders in the file manager:
- Open up nautilus (your file manager, open up your home directory and nautilus will open up)
- Go to "edit" then to "preferences"
- In the second tab (the behavior tab) you can choose single or double click

I didn't know this would work until a few minutes ago. All I did was Google "open file with one click in gnome". I'm used to double-clicking, so it doesn't interest me other than to address your complaint about Gnome.   ;D