• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

keyrings

Started by fox, March 30, 2020, 07:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

I found a good article on keyrings. The most important thing I learned from it is that if you have automatic login, you will get a keyring window requesting your password the first time you open a browser or other app that requires a password. I don't know if this is try on all desktop environments, but it definitely is with KDE. This might be related to the annoyance I had anytime I ran Plasma in Ubuntu, although I don't use automatic login. Because I don't autolog, I still don't understand why I was getting this, but it is one of my greatest annoyances with KDE/Plasma. Having said that, I rarely if ever get a keyring window in my OpenSUSE installation (no autologin).
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I'm not sure about the autologin thing. I've always used a password to login to my box and have gotten the keyring message whenever I use something that requires a password (if I remember correctly).

However, in Plasma, it doesn't have to annoy you, Fox, all you need to do is to use a blank password instead of hitting cancel. When you do that, it'll tell you that doing so will mean your passwords won't be saved securely and if you're okay with that. Once you say yes, it will never come up again. I've been using Plasma for at least a year now and never see it. Now, if I remember correctly, you have to actually click on the fields to enter the master password and don't put anything in them and then click OK for it to work. If that doesn't work for whatever reason, just bring up Kwallet and then choose to disable it in the options.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13