• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

The Fallout from Covid 19

Started by BusterE, March 15, 2020, 08:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

William

You know, Kimchi and Vodka solve most of our problems here. :)  Panic buying is happening in Mississauga, too.  Spaghetti, sauce, sugar, flour, spam, water, and toilet paper were all gone in local supermarket.  I got 5 years supply of toilet paper, so no worry for me.

ssfc72

Any bids for some of Williams toilet paper? :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

Just out of interest - WCI oil is selling for $9.19 a barrel! Astonishing. Same as 4 cans of British Ale.

And we have 2 friends who don't seem to be able to get out of Portugal, and are living in an almost empty resort.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Quote from: William on March 17, 2020, 10:20:17 PM
You know, Kimchi and Vodka solve most of our problems here. :)  Panic buying is happening in Mississauga, too.  Spaghetti, sauce, sugar, flour, spam, water, and toilet paper were all gone in local supermarket.  I got 5 years supply of toilet paper, so no worry for me.

5 years supply? How? Have you been squirreling it away over the years? And where do you store it?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

Quote from: buster on March 18, 2020, 11:31:25 AM
And we have 2 friends who don't seem to be able to get out of Portugal, and are living in an almost empty resort.

I thought I saw the government offering Canadians abroad up to $5000 to come home. But I guess the number of available flights has probably dropped sharply. Saw at least one airline that has cancelled all of their flights.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

I think that the offer is just in the form of a loan, but I'm not sure.

Some pretty good news today. The number of infected people in Peterborough, the county and the two closest reserves is only 2. Number tested negative is 68, and 41 additional cases are under investigation. Locally, no one has died or has been hospitalized for Covid-19 - yet. An article in the Examiner suggested that we are still going to see an exponential rise in cases locally.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on March 18, 2020, 04:17:37 PM
I think that the offer is just in the form of a loan, but I'm not sure.

You're likely correct in that summation.

QuoteSome pretty good news today. The number of infected people in Peterborough, the county and the two closest reserves is only 2. Number tested negative is 68, and 41 additional cases are under investigation. Locally, no one has died or has been hospitalized for Covid-19 - yet. An article in the Examiner suggested that we are still going to see an exponential rise in cases locally.

I'm not sure that's good news. It depends on how many others those 2 people came into contact with. But from what I'm reading the second person was a close contact of the first. Weren't you in the US recently, Fox? ;-)

If anybody was hospitalized or died on the basis of only two cases, we'd be in big trouble. It looks like the death rate based on a sample of 260 cases is between 3 and 4 percent and 11% were hospitalized. So we'd have to have 10 people with the illness before we saw a hospitalization and 25 people before we saw a death if we're the average. I think we have a higher than average senior population though so it's likely we'll see both occurring before reaching those numbers.

The provincial government recommended not to use transit unless absolutely necessary so I'm avoiding it either getting a ride with a friend who offered for necessary trips or I'm walking. On the bright side, it will make me exercise more. :)

Jason

Here's some good news. For the first time since COVID-19 surfaced, China is reporting no new cases in Wuhan and the surrounding province. The 34 cases they did have the day before were imported form abroad. Looks like China is an importer of it now. Of course, China took even more drastic measures than the West has taken, basically putting the city in lock down.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/wuhan-reports-no-new-virus-cases-offering-hope-to-world-1.4859202

buster

My daughter received this from a friend:

"Started home-schooling today, 2 kids suspended for  fighting and I may be fired for drinking on the job."

Jason

Quote from: buster on March 19, 2020, 09:21:08 AM
My daughter received this from a friend:

"Started home-schooling today, 2 kids suspended for  fighting and I may be fired for drinking on the job."

I saw that on Facebook, except that it said at the end that the teacher may be fired for drinking on the job. :D

buster

Reading BBC news and discovered that Vera Lynn is still alive and 103, and she spoke to the nation and asked them to find some joy somehow in these difficult times. For those who don't know who she is, she was British and performed during the Second World War. She had two songs that spread around the free world and were heard often on the radio. Every time these played on the radio, we all listened intently. The most famous came out in 1942, and the broadcasts continued until I was at least 7. My dad was away for 5 or 6 years, and we rented half of our little house to help pay costs. Tough times.

The songs were 'The White Cliffs of Dover' and 'We'll Meet Again'. No need to listen to all the way through, but the originals are on YouTube.

So far we have no popular songs to rally around during these times when, for example, an Italian is dying on average, every 2 and 1/2 minutes from the disease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAaxkAgVkHQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsM_VmN6ytk

fox

buster

Thanks Mike. In 1995 she would have been 78 years old. And she still had an amazing voice, and great stage presence.

buster

I believe I mentioned our two neighbours who had returned from Carolina and developed unpleasant symptons. He went to emerg in an ambulance. It seemed it was 'only' pneumonia  Their tests have been processed it has been confirmed that they do not have covid-19. Good news for Cabot St.

fox

Still only 5 cases in Peterborough area, with no hospitalizations and no deaths. The two most recent additions travelled in. I know there will be plenty more, but either the social distancing is working or Peterborough is small enough to not get an influx from elsewhere.