• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

MotionEyeOS Raspberry PI camera surveillance program

Started by ssfc72, February 24, 2020, 02:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

So, I have had a great deal of difficulty getting this software to work for me.  There doesn't seem to be too many posting problems with the software, so it must just be something I am missing in the install and setup.

I have now made good progress and it seems that I have overcome the problems that I was facing.

I was following a very good detailed YouTube video, that one guy put out, on installing and setting up MotionEyeOS.
He showed how to  place a .conf file in the root partition of the SDcard that would setup your home wifi to connect with the Raspberry Pi.  This was my first problem as it did not seem to work for me.  I had to connect an Ethernet cable to the Raspberry pi to gain access to the MotionEyeOS program, once it was booted up on the RPi.
I eventually stumbled upon what I was doing wrong with the wifi and after booting up MotionEyeOS using an ethernet cable connection, I went into the setup of MotionEyeOS and confiqured the wifi and then when I rebooted the RPi , I did obtain a wifi connection.

The next problem I had was that after following all the YouTube video instructions on setting up the numerous setting on MotionEyeOS, I could not figure out how to shut down the Raspberry Pi from within the MotionEyeOS program. There was no obvious way that I could see to access the underlying RPI OS that MotionEyeOS was running on top of.
So I had to pull the power cord to shut down the RPi and this of course corrupted the file system so that MotionEyeOS would not boot up again when I plugged the power back into the RPi.
I again stumbled upon the mistake I was making and I found the shut down icon in the MotionEyeOS program and I was able to reboot the RPi successfully with a working MotionEyeOS program. :-)

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Cool! Glad you worked it out. Making use of a RPi in another way sounds like a good talk. If your other topic doesn't take up too much time, you could always present it, too. Or just leave MotionEyeOS until April or May.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13