• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Old Android phones security article

Started by ssfc72, March 06, 2020, 04:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51751950

Another good article about the lack of security updates on older Android phones. No security updates were issued in 2019 for any Android OS, below 7.0
42% of Android users worldwide are on Android version 6.0 or below.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Insightful link, ssfc.

I looked it up and apparently 6.0 was released in 2015. So it wasn't that long ago, looking at in desktop OS terms, but for the mobile market, four years is a long time. Most people probably get new phones/tablets every 2-3 years which isn't a good thing for pocketbooks or the environment. It doesn't help that newer apps require more RAM, storage and better processors as the years pass. And developers who want to use newer features available only in recent OS releases.

I think many of us use our phones until they don't support the apps we use, are too slow or the battery is spent. This article highlights the possible dangers in that approach. This was the most interesting part:

Quote"Kate Bevan, Which? Computing editor, said: "It's very concerning that expensive Android devices have such a short shelf life before they lose security support, leaving millions of users at risk of serious consequences if they fall victim to hackers.

"Google and phone manufacturers need to be upfront about security updates - with clear information about how long they will last and what customers should do when they run out."

I totally agree.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13