• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS default wallpaper revealed

Started by fox, February 28, 2020, 08:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

You can see it here. While I like the colour scheme, I don't care for the image of the Focal Fossa, as I didn't care for the images of the Eowan Ermine or the Disco Dingo before it. The last one I liked was 18.10's Cosmic Cuttlefish; possibly because it is an aquatic animal, but also I just like the look of the image. I haven't used the default wallpaper since.

What do you guys think of the Fossa wallpaper?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I'm not really sold on that colour gradient but I never have been for Ubuntu. I don't care that much for purple so I've always thought that scheme was kind of ugly but I think beginners might like it since they keep going with something similar. The cat framework looks good, IMHO.

However, it is just the default wallpaper which I don't think anyone stays with for any distro, at least not for long. I hope beginners can figure out quickly how to change the wallpaper. Else they might just go "ick!" and not even bother with Linux which would be sad. I mean, look, there are kinds of people who hate Windows 10 simply because of the tiles that it comes with, even when they know they can be changed.

I like photographs as my wallpaper, personally, beautiful ones. If that kind of wallpaper detail or brightness makes it difficult to see the icons, I can pull them into Gimp and blur or soften them. But usually I have no problem and some distros make available some exquisite wallpaper.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

BusterE

Went back and looked at all the default wallpapers and have to believe that no one ever stuck with Ubuntu's defaults. I like that Mint gives you a huge selection of pleasant backgrounds which I can set to slide show.

Ubuntu must have a policy that forces them to have a very unexciting, solid flat screen in desert colours.
BusterMan - Strong like Ox! Smart like elevator!

Jason

Quote from: BusterE on April 13, 2020, 03:55:03 PM
Went back and looked at all the default wallpapers and have to believe that no one ever stuck with Ubuntu's defaults.

My point was that beginners might not know how to change it and be turned off. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but you can't right-click the background in Ubuntu and change the wallpaper like in Windows, can you?

I think a lot of us take for granted the initial learning curve in using Linux at all. It's also why everyone pushes Synaptic and I push back. It would scare the heck out of beginners. Btw, look up package managers for Windows. They're more meant for corporate environments to mass install, update and remove software but still pretty cool.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

You can change Ubuntu wallpaper with a right-click on the desktop.

I disagree with Buster that the included wallpapers are better in mint than in Ubuntu. I don't find either particularly inspiring. One in Ubuntu that is good is the default for Hardy Heron (8.04). It was a nice, abstract design of the heron; colourful though all in shades of brown and orange. But I go searching for nice backgrounds; I don't depend on any distro for that. Having said that, I think Manjaro's is nice.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I like the function in Plasma that uses photos of the day and sets them as the backgrounds. But you already knew that. :)