• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

LibreOffice now available for Android and iOS

Started by fox, February 27, 2020, 04:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

Read about it here. The version being released is actually called Collabora Office, but it is powered by LibreOffice, now has editing functions (a previous version of LibreOffice was just a viewer), and is, of course, free and open source. I could have used this when I did my Samsung DeX presentation, as I generated the slides in LibreOffice Impress, but had to show them in MS Powerpoint. The point forms were not translated correctly.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Interesting although you'd definitely want DeX or something like it. Imagine trying to do word processing on a touch screen. I'd rather wash my face with sandpaper.

I haven't mentioned it but I actually have a wireless mini-keyboard. It's not bluetooth though, it comes with a USB adapter but I was told it would work with a tablet if you use a usb to micro-usb or usb c adapter. It's not as easy as a regular physical keyboard but much easier to put in a bag. Probably be perfect for something like this.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Yes, I was thinking of DeX. I checked, and I could have run my PLUG presentation from my phone with Collabora Office. But in my case, I also have an iPad Air, and I used it all last fall to give course lectures (connected to a video projector). Collabora Office now gives me the ability to generate presentations with LibreOffice Impress on any desktop operating system (Linux, Mac, Windows), and show it in native format (i.e. no PowerPoint translation errors) on my iPad.

Up until now, LibreOffice has not done much to support Android or iOS, and I couldn't even make it show my PLUG slides on my phone. Collabora Office is a big step forward for open source on Android.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

That's for the elucidations of your earlier comment. Although I regretfully didn't see your presentation, I'm clearer now on how you could have used Collabra. It's quite intriguing to imagine doing presentations from a tablet that everyone can view.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13