• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Price cut on 2 gb Raspberry pi 4

Started by fox, February 27, 2020, 04:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

The 1 gb model is being phased out and the 2 gb model has dropped to the price of the 1 gb model. I was hoping that there would be a corresponding drop in the price of the 4 gb model, but that didn't happen. You can read about it here. The article also notes that the USB Type-C problem is being fixed, the problem that caused certain unofficial power adapters to mistake the SBC for an audio device.

So who is now in the market for an rPi4? 2 gb or 4 gb? As much as I would like to save the $US 20, I would probably still opt for the 4 gb model because it will be more future-proof. But I would like to hear arguments that the 2 is sufficient.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Nextcloud would definitely be better on 2 GB. That's the recommended requirements for it. It will work with 1 GB, even 512 MB but you'd have to use sqllite instead of sql which isn't ideal. It's fine for small databases like those on a phone/tablet, but not good for platform software that has a lot of information. At least that's my understanding.

A 4 GB model would be better but would probably be overkill for the light OSes that run on the Pi already. But it might make it more suitable as a desktop, capable of running heavier OSes or existing light ones faster.The more you can keep in memory, the less often you have to read from storage, programs or data. I've never considered this before but I'm wondering if the Pi has the hardware capability to go into sleep or standby mode. Also, more memory would make it ideal for a server as it could handle more connections at the same time assuming the network speed under load is capable, too.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Jason, I think you're right on all counts. I can run Raspbian on my 1 gb rPi3, but not at a speed that would make me happy. The Pi4 will be faster because of the processor and USB3 ports, and it would probably run a light OS at a respectable speed with 2 gb RAM. But for the extra $20 U.S., I would probably buy the 4 gb model, if only for future proofing.

Jason

i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

I hadn't thought of sleep mode before; I would want the Pi to go into a low power state when not in use if I was to use it as a desktop computer. I found something on that in this rPi forum thread, but I'm not sure how to interpret the answer. If a low power state wasn't possible, then I wouldn't consider using it as a desktop computer. In that case, the 2 gb model would look more attractive, as I would probably use it as a server and would never need more than two simultaneous connections.

Jason

I wouldn't give up on it as a desktop computer solely for that reason, personally. The RPi still uses a lot less power than any regular desktop out there, likely even when said desktop is in sleep mode (i.e. standby, not hiberation). Heck, your monitor probably draws about 2-3 A even in sleep mode. You'd have to unplug it to get less or turn off the power bar. It's power usage is probably similar to the draw on your tablet, perhaps a 10" but I haven't really looked it up. It's likely ssfc has more complete knowledge of RPi power draw than I do and I hope he shares it. :)

The link you posted suggests that the sleep option isn't available. Using 'shutdown -h now' or 'halt' (which is the same thing) turns the RPi off altogether. There will still be some power draw as with most electronics when it's turned off, but very little. I was surprised to see the claim that version 3 which I have, uses 1 A even when powered off.

If you shut it down, remember that it likely boots up a lot faster than your desktop, way faster than your tablet unless Apple tablets do load up fast. I know I hate rebooting  my phone or turning on my tablet first thing in the day. But both are using energy all day long, but very little unless you're connected to wifi or data which is usually turned off during their sleep mode (or you have the option to). Not totally sure about data turning off though.

Maybe somebody needs to buy one of those devices that PUS uses to measure power drain compared to real desktops and such.