• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Fedora 25 released

Started by fox, November 22, 2016, 01:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

The Linux Action Show did a good review of Fedora 25 on Sunday; you can watch it here. The Fedora review starts at minute 41 of the show. Chris Fisher is very positive on it. He tested it extensively on several of his computers. Wayland worked well throughout, and he argues that this makes it an important upgrade. He was not happy with version 24 at all, but he had it on one of his computers and upgraded it successfully (using the DNF method as I recall). His comments about the upgrade process were mixed because it isn't automatic yet in the way that Ubuntu's is (problem being with non-Fedora repos), but he thinks it's moving in the right direction. I had the same problems he did when I tried the upgrade. They're easy to overcome if you aren't a novice, but not if you are.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

fox

Having installed Fedora 25 on my office iMac, I have since discovered a few negatives. One I mentioned previously is specific to Wayland - gparted doesn't work in that environment. Another, which isn't graphical environment-specific is that the Desktop folder cannot be made visible. It's there, and you can see things on it in Files (Nautilus), but when you put things on the Desktop, they don't show up on your display. That's a biggie for me; I like putting temporary files on the Desktop where I can easily deal with them. Up until I discovered this, I was seriously thinking about making Fedora my primary distro in the office, but now I think I'm going to stick with Ubuntu and keep Fedora for occasional use. I think they do have plans to fix this eventually, so hopefully within the present or next cycle.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

cod3poet

Fedora 25, the Better OS for local installs. I have to admin running a live version of this on my 2011 laptop is butter smooth. Wayland makes every day usage that much smoother. I thing the rendering is much better and on par with the comfortable and easy on the eyes computing that you expect to find on a mac.

From a "just works standpoint" I would be happy dropping this on a machine and handing it off to a friend who hated windows and mac and wanted something else. It does not suffer the ubuntu bloat that I have found (that and I never really fell in love with Ubuntu) Plus the live system running off of an 8GB usb stick is snappy as hell.

Firefox is fine, terminal works, I checked out the "software store" and it's pretty straight forward and not loaded with useless stuff.

Fantastic preview of what is to come.
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

buster

The 'life cycle' is 6 months I think, with updates running 13 month. Your review makes it sound really nice, but I tend to install things that go as close to forever as possible, and just use them til stuff doesn't work anymore.

Could it be demonstrated at a meeting? Say May or June?
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

It's true there's a new release every six months. However, Fedora is upgradable within itself to each newest version. That is, there is no need to download a new ISO to do the upgrade.

https://fedoramagazine.org/upgrading-fedora-24-fedora-25/
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

Quote from: cod3poet on March 18, 2017, 08:02:33 AM
Fedora 25, the Better OS for local installs. I have to admin running a live version of this on my 2011 laptop is butter smooth. Wayland makes every day usage that much smoother. I thing the rendering is much better and on par with the comfortable and easy on the eyes computing that you expect to find on a mac.

Do you use outside repos to support multimedia codecs and such? I just wondered if you're running it vanilla or with the rpmfusion or other repos.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

" Fedora is upgradable within itself to each newest version. "

That's my kind of system!!!

Are codecs easy to acquire?

Jason

Quote from: buster on March 18, 2017, 09:30:45 PM
Are codecs easy to acquire?

They used to be. I haven't really tried doing it in Fedora for a few years. I imagine once you install VLC player you will get pretty much everything other than DVD and Flash support.

buster

Here is the last Fedora review on DistroWatch if anyone is interested:

https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20161205

Jason

Thanks for the link, Harry and also to Mike for the original topic link.