• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Fake sign-ups & what to do if you're banned

Started by Jason, February 21, 2020, 12:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Bots go around signing up on forums in the hopes they can post spam or they just put it in their profiles. It appears they've gotten smarter. Even Google re-captcha doesn't seem to stop all of them. In about a week, at least a dozen "people" have registered for the forums, half of them the last few days. I can only imagine how much worse it would be if it wasn't for this anti-spam feature.

But I'm wondering if the spammers have created their own algorithms to bypass the google system to make sure people are not bots or if they're actually paying real people to create fake accounts.

For those that are curious, there are various ways that I can tell they're spammers, you might see some of them yourself if you look at a recently joined forum member's profile.

In my zealousness to prevent Spam sign-ups, I may inadvertently ban a member or a real person. If this happens to you, send me an email. If you don't already know my email address, click on Contact on the main website at https://plugintolinux.ca and let me know what IP address you were using and your ISP. You can find our your IP address by using this website. Just let me know the series of numbers that shows on the line and after it where it says "My Public IPv4 is: ".
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13