• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Changes to registration for forums

Started by Jason, February 11, 2020, 04:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I've been testing the google re-captcha plugin in registrations for the smf forum here a couple of weeks and it seems to be working pretty well. Whereas I used to have 6-12 sign-ups a day (bots pretty much), now I've only gotten 1-2 a week.

The system we have now requires those wanting to register to send me an email and I sign them up. I believe doing it this way is a barrier for non-PLUG people to register. And seeing as how we don't have a lot of forum participants, I'd like to get more users on it so that changes.

So now the gates are being lifted. And there will likely be spam bots, but hopefully not many judging by the last two weeks. I'm letting you guys know so that if you see it you won't be shocked and if you see anything that isn't right that is posted that you will report it. Every comment has an option to report it to a moderator. Then we can remove it, and ban/suspend the person responsible.

Hopefully, this won't cause problems but there may be a few. So be patient.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13