• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

VMWare Workstation Player issue - Guest does not show after install

Started by ssfc72, January 29, 2020, 03:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

I remember having run into this problem before but I can't find the Forum message that I posted, from a number of years ago.

I am running Mint 19x as the Host and I go to create a new Guest.  I go through the install of a Linux Distro and it installs and boots up the Guest. When I shut down the Guest Distro and start the VMWare player again, the installed Guest does not show up under the Home folder of the VMWare player.
In  the VMWare player I can locate the folder that the Guest distro is located but when I try to run the .vmx file (?), nothing happens.

What I am doing wrong? I have tried installing 2 different Linux Distros and the same issue occurs with both.
I am really p offed, that I am having this same problem with a Virtual Machine program, that I had a number of years ago! :-(

Edit - I have found that from the Host distro, I can navigate to the VMWare folder and the Guest distro folder and click on the .vmx file and get the Guest to boot up.  The Guest still does not show up from the VMWare player program under the Home folder that is found in the main Player window.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

Hi Bill,
I've seen this before when I've moved guest distros between computers, and when stashing guests on hd's with more space, and maybe when cloning.

I remember going thru something like player>file>open and I think maybe right clicking on the file? Whatever, it asked me to choose something (?) and I chose the default which always works - 'I moved it'.

From then on it worked perfectly. I do remember trying it get it started by clicking on the .vmx file and going nowhere.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

This issue dates back to Dec 2017 and seems to be an ongoing, unfixed bug.

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/578176?start=15&tstart=0

Answer #9 seems to be the fix for all the Mint Distros, including Mint 19x.    In Mint, type in the search field, "privacy" without the quotes,in the Menu.  Click on the Privacy setting program and turn on "remember recently accessed  files" and "never forget old files". Problem fixed.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

buster

Hmmm. Never really noticed anything very unusual with my Mint.

ssfc72

Harry, are you running VMWare player with Mint as a Host?  I thought you were running VMWare with Win 10 as the Host. Maybe that is why you have not seen this issue?

buster

I do both. I'm 'ambidextrous'.  :) Both work, but Win10 host seems to be easier than my Mint.

ssfc72

Jason

Hey Bill, long time viewer, first time poster (in this topic). I've had this issue as well although it was in my present Kubuntu system. I had removed VMware because of this bug because I didn't know about the workaround Buster suggested. I stopped using it. Came back to using it again recently and it works as it should now. Thanks for finding the bug listing and the solution in case it happens again.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13