• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

A good article on privacy alternatives to Google search, email, etc

Started by ssfc72, January 24, 2020, 06:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50460712

I don't know if it is any better for not monitoring my searches, but I sometimes will use the search engine, Dogpile or Startpage.  At least it gets me away from using Google, and the search results seem to be quite good.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Thanks for sharing, Bill!

I'm trying to get away from Google services as well. I still use YouTube but I no longer log in and instead save the content providers and videos I like in bookmarks. I still use Facebook. It's the only way to keep in touch with some family members and friends. But I don't stay logged into it, and I use it in a container so it can't spy on my other open tabs. For search I use Ecosia. Like DuckDuckGo, they don't collect information on you and they plant trees :) I still use Google Calendar but I'm looking for alternatives. I think it's okay to use one Google service, the problem is when you use multiple services, then they can build an advertising profile on you. While most might not care, I don't like being manipulated into buying things I don't actually need and data breaches could mean that users lose control of their info.

I tried to get anybody here interested in Protonmail a while back. But even LUG members prefer free even at the cost of privacy apparently. I'm trying out Tutanota for email now which is cheap 12 euros a year, about $18 CAD. It also encrypts the email on their servers and lets you send it, too.

Remember if they don't charge anything for the product, that's because you are the product.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13