• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Ubuntu after install app

Started by fox, May 30, 2016, 07:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

Here is a newly released app that works in Ubuntu 12.04 and up to easily install popular applications and utilities like Dropbox, non-free codecs, chrome, Ubuntu Tweak Tool, VLC, etc. It appears to be a GUI script and it looks quite useful.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

That's cool. I like how it's a checklist and you can choose a bunch from one screen and let it go at installing them all. Reminds of the Ninite installer for Windows.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Bodhi Linux has something like that, too, but I think it comes from a menu, not an app. Same with Bunsenlabs, definitely from a menu.

bobf

Ah, you GUI guys - you SLAY me! <^8#

fox

Yeh, yeh. It is a nice feature, but I'm actually not that lazy. I install most of the software I need in Ubuntu with apt-get. But these installation scripts are very handy, not only for newbies, but even for folks that aren't sure what software they want to install. Choice is good, Bob :)

Jason

When I see you using only the terminal and not a graphical desktop, Bob, then we'll talk!
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

bobf

Ah, you're just mad 'cuz I have to go through the GUI to get to Terminal! <^8# I spend so much time in Terminal you'd better get a picture of me actually doing something OTHER than Terminal for the club gallery...! <^8#

And choice is ALWAYS good; if only we could get UAI as a part of the official distribution ISO(s)...!! I have no recollectable experience with Ubuntu's Software... what'd'ya call it? Software store?! I *much* prefer a one-check-box solution.